May 24, 2017

Shillong — the Indian town that loves Bob Dylan.

From Charuskesi Ramadurai in the UK Independent:
Dylan has never visited – in fact, he’s never performed in India and is thought to have visited only once, for a wedding – but the people of Shillong don’t care. For several decades now, the city has hosted an informal celebratory concert every year on his birthday: 24 May.
(Happy birthday, Bob.)
The annual tradition was started in 1972 by local celebrity Lou Majaw – known as the grand old musician of Shillong, and homegrown Dylan fan – some say fanatic.... This 70-going-on-17-year-old musician regularly performs Dylan’s songs at some of the most popular pubs and cafés in town....
Here's a documentary about Majaw and Shillong:

13 comments:

Meade said...

Almost exactly 51 years ago Bob and The Band played that famous show at Manchester's Free Trade Hall in which a disgruntled heckler shouted out "JUDAS!" because Dylan had committed the blasphemy of "going electric".

After Monday night's bombing, perhaps Bob should repurpose "Masters of War".

Wince said...

Dylan's been Shillonged!

Laslo Spatula said...

"...in which a disgruntled heckler shouted out "JUDAS!" ..."

Everyone knows you can't yell 'Judas!' in a crowded theatre.

It's, like, one of those First Amendment exceptions, like yelling 'Fire' at a crowded book-burning.

I am Laslo.

Sebastian said...

Outrageous cultural appropriation. Who do they think they are?

Professional lady said...

Was at a performance of John Corigliano’s "Seven Poems of Bob Dylan" song cycle. All I can say is it was interesting. Ann, I wonder how you would react to it.

traditionalguy said...

That was deeply heart warming. Dylan's music knock, knock, knocking on India's door.

Snark said...

Bob and I have something in common. We're both born on May 24, and I can't sing either. Ha ha!

Meade said...

"Bob and I have something in common. We're both born on May 24, and I can't sing either. Ha ha!"

I don't believe you... You're a liar!!!

Unknown said...

I thought of you and Meade while listening to the Backlisted Podcast episode "The Gift - Vladimir Nabokov". There is a nice story about Bob Dylan in the first 10 minutes.

Snark said...

"I don't believe you... You're a liar!!!"

Unfortunately "I don't believe you, you're a gardener" turned up zero on google. So I got nothing.

robother said...

"Is it rolling, Bob?"

Bilwick said...

Nice schillong.

Earnest Prole said...

I’ll see your Shillong and raise you a Schiwing.